[wplug] Sorcerer

harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu
Tue Oct 8 13:42:35 EDT 2002

Sometime in October SCOTT F KIESLING assaulted keyboard and produced...

|Hi folks-
|I am thinking of trying out the Sorcerer distribution, and would like to
|hear if anyone else has tried it out. I currently use Debian, but I would
|actually like to make a few more decisions about what goes into the
|system. Sorcerer seems like a good compromise between a binary package
|system and something like Linux From Scratch, which I don't think I'm
|ready for yet. Any comments welcome.
|
|see
|http://www.distrowatch.com/sorcerer.php
|or
|http://sorcerer.wox.org

disclaimer: i haven't tried either of these:

have you considered gentoo? it uses the portage thing bsd folks seem to
favor. i don't know if gentoo compiles stuff at install time, but the last
line of this paragraph kinda suggests it:

Portage allows you to set up Gentoo Linux the way you like it -- with the
optimization settings that you want, and with optional build-time
functionality (like GNOME, KDE, mysql, ALSA, LDAP support, etc.) enabled or
disabled as you desire. If you don't want GNOME on your system, your apps
won't have optional GNOME support enabled, and if you do, then they will.
That's why we prefer thinking of Gentoo Linux as a meta-distribution or
Linux technology engine. You decide what kind of system you want, and
Portage will create it for you.

http://www.gentoo.org/

john harrold               | "They that can give up essential
     jmh17 at pitt.edu        |  liberty to obtain a little
/"\                        |  temporary safety deserve neither
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign  |  liberty nor safety."
 X  against HTML mail      |
/ \                        |  Benjamin Franklin
  "International security is not a zero-sum game. Peace,
  security and freedom are not finite commodities - like l
  and, oil or gold - which one state can acquire at
  another's expense."
  United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan