[wplug] Sorcerer

Carmelo Edwrd Piccione cep at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Oct 8 11:59:58 EDT 2002

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, SCOTT F KIESLING wrote:

> Hi folks-
> I am thinking of trying out the Sorcerer distribution, and would like to
> hear if anyone else has tried it out. I currently use Debian, but I would
> actually like to make a few more decisions about what goes into the
> system. Sorcerer seems like a good compromise between a binary package
> system and something like Linux From Scratch, which I don't think I'm
> ready for yet. Any comments welcome.
>
> see
> http://www.distrowatch.com/sorcerer.php
> or
> http://sorcerer.wox.org
>
> Scott

Hey Scott, I have tried out sorcerer gnu/linux, and part of me really
loved it. Installing new packages by source was extremely easy. The
program even asks about optional dependencies for more common packages. However,
when I used it anyway, if you stop the install/compilation (for whatever
reason) in a critical period when the database is being updated, it can
potentially wipe out entire packages. Assuming this is fixed, the
install/maintenance tools provided by the distro are excellent. Also, it
includes a reiserfs rather than ext3 option if you so desire.

My recommendation would be to try out the derivitive of sorcerer
gnu/linux, which is Linux from Scratch (I think its mentioned in other
threads). It is a bit more stable and full-featured. Check out

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org

for more info

Carmelo
Discrete Math and Computer Science