[wplug] XDMCP and Kitchen Terminals

Edward C. Smith edward.smith at forum.com
Mon Oct 7 12:36:53 EDT 2002

What display manager are you using. Each one (xdm, kdm and gdm) is configured a bit differently. I use KDM and I've found several spots where you have to reconfigure it.

I can check my notes later on, but you'd be better off to check the kde and xdm docs for redhat. Check /etc/X11/xdm/ for the kdmrc file and cdm-config file. I know that both of those need updated to allow XDMCP to work.

-Ed

On Sun, 6 Oct 2002 04:22:28 -0400
Evan DiBiase <evand at wplug.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to convert my family's main computer to RedHat 8.0 (from
> Windows XP), and I think it will go rather well based on what I've seen
> of the distribution's desktop features so far.
>
> One of the major selling points, I think, will be that ability of my
> family's "kitchen" computer (which has been running Linux for about 6
> months now) to act as an XDMCP client to the computer in the loft,
> because it would be great to have all of my family's data available to
> them in the kitchen, without having to go upstairs.
>
> Unfortunately, I cannot get things to work. I have enabled XDMCP on the
> RedHat 8.0 machine ("central" -- the one in the loft), and believe I
> have punched 177:tcp and 177:udp through the firewall with lokkit, so
> everything should be fine there (although I've noticed that I cannot
> telnet to localhost:177 on central).
>
> On the kitchen computer, I've tried running "X -query central", "X
> -query 192.168.1.5" (central's IP), and "X -broadcast", all to no
> avail. The first few times I try, X comes up with the classic default
> background and X mouse cursor, and nothing else. After a few tries, the
> server will die after a second or so, saying that the XDMCP server said
> it had too many connections from that one host. This leads me to
> believe (understandably) that the kitchen computer is getting through
> to central, but that central isn't serving up the goods.
>
> Is there anything else I can check here? The last time I used XDMCP was
> a good three years ago, and I'm sorry to say that any information I
> gleaned during that time has pretty much left me.
>
> Thanks,
> Evan

Edward C. Smith
Programmer