[wplug] Cool Cases

Matthew Danish mdanish at andrew.cmu.edu
Sun Oct 6 15:28:02 EDT 2002

On Sun, Oct 06, 2002 at 03:07:38PM -0400, Zach Paine wrote:
> I am fairly certain that my box is overheating, and I'm looking to buy a new
> case and perhaps some cooling paraphenalia.  I have a 1.33ghz Athlon and a
> nVidia GeForce2 GTS which both generate a lot of heat.  Can any recommend a
> good, cool case and/or provide some general cooling suggestions?  I'm not
> looking to spend much more than $100.

I've become a big fan of Antec cases.  Well-made and easy to work with.
Chieftec is the company who actually makes them (I think) but Antec puts
in much better power supplies (very important).

As for cooling, Coolermaster fan/heatsink was recommended to me and for
$10 they are pretty damn good and not too noisy.

I have an Antec 1080AMG (it's big, w/430W PSU) and two Coolermaster
DP5-6J31C-01s (2 Athlon MP 2000+) and the CPUs almost never go over 45C,
usually 35-40C.

Grab a front 80mm case fan for extra circulation ($5) and possibly look
into getting a case with a side-fan (mine has that, it's neat, but
probably adds somewhat to the cost).

Using something like Arctic Silver 3 (properly, of course) may help drop
your CPU temp another couple degrees.

--
; Matthew Danish <mdanish at andrew.cmu.edu>
; Signed or encrypted mail welcome.