[wplug] XDMCP and Kitchen Terminals

Evan DiBiase evand at wplug.org
Sun Oct 6 04:22:28 EDT 2002

Hello,

I'm trying to convert my family's main computer to RedHat 8.0 (from
Windows XP), and I think it will go rather well based on what I've seen
of the distribution's desktop features so far.

One of the major selling points, I think, will be that ability of my
family's "kitchen" computer (which has been running Linux for about 6
months now) to act as an XDMCP client to the computer in the loft,
because it would be great to have all of my family's data available to
them in the kitchen, without having to go upstairs.

Unfortunately, I cannot get things to work. I have enabled XDMCP on the
RedHat 8.0 machine ("central" -- the one in the loft), and believe I
have punched 177:tcp and 177:udp through the firewall with lokkit, so
everything should be fine there (although I've noticed that I cannot
telnet to localhost:177 on central).

On the kitchen computer, I've tried running "X -query central", "X
-query 192.168.1.5" (central's IP), and "X -broadcast", all to no
avail. The first few times I try, X comes up with the classic default
background and X mouse cursor, and nothing else. After a few tries, the
server will die after a second or so, saying that the XDMCP server said
it had too many connections from that one host. This leads me to
believe (understandably) that the kitchen computer is getting through
to central, but that central isn't serving up the goods.

Is there anything else I can check here? The last time I used XDMCP was
a good three years ago, and I'm sorry to say that any information I
gleaned during that time has pretty much left me.

Thanks,
Evan