[wplug] partition question

Brian S. Woolstrum bsw2 at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Oct 4 13:57:21 EDT 2002

On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, Paul Cantalupo wrote:

> jsbillings at mac.com wrote:
>
> > It looks like while the device /dev/hda3 spans 11G, you only created a
> > filesystem on it that is 2G in size.  What did you use to create this
> > filesystem?
> >
> > Jonathan
> >

> During my installation of Slackware 8.0, I used the TARGET menu option to
> partition the harddrive. My scribbled notes say that I created /hda3 as
> /usr/local first then later I created /hda6 as /usr. Oops! Is this my problem?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Paul

Yup, that is definitely that problem, although not as bad of a problem as it
first appears.  The big problem is the order in the fstab mounts /usr after
/usr/local and that is what is messing everything up.  Easy part of the fix
is simple swap the order around in fstab so that /usr is higher in the list
than /usr/local.  But, once you do that the 11G empty partition will get
mount at /usr/local blocking out everything in the /usr/local on the 2G
partition, so before rebooting or remounting go to /usr and do a "mv local
local.backup" then a "mkdir local" then either reboot or umount both
partitions and remount them.  then at that point go into /usr/local.backup
and do a "mv -vf * ../local" I think that should bring your system into the
state you expected it to be in.

Brian S. Woolstrum
Principal System/Software Engineer
Carnegie Mellon University Libraries