[wplug] How to build a firewall/router?

Elwin Green bekitemba at excite.com
Thu Oct 3 13:12:59 EDT 2002

Greetings, all -

I'm finally getting DSL, and expect service to begin next week. For this week's miniproject, I wanted to set up a 386 as a firewall/router using floppyfw (Brian S., this is the same beast you spent so much time with a couple of meetings ago)>

Problems have arisen (of course!)

1) At boot, the 386 now generates an error msg I hadn't seen before: "No rom basic. System halted." Does this mean what I think it means, i.e., "This machine's ready for the scrap heap"? Or is it fixable (and would it be worth the trouble)?

2) I then tried floppfw with a spare 486. It boots, but then fails somewhere. I get a string of messages that look like this:

cp: unable to open (filepath): no such file or directory

Then some stuff that looks ok, then:

insmod: not found
gi: not found

Then it runs a little further and ends with this sequence

Opening virutal consoles
Open: not found
Open: not found

"Open: not found" appears 7 times.

My GUESS is that floppfw was not able to fit its operational self into this machine's RAM (8MB). What do others here think? Any suggesstions?

Thanks!

Elwin G.