[wplug] A VM that runs windows on linux?

J Aaron Farr jaaronfarr at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 2 15:28:06 EDT 2002

--- Bill <bhalpin at collaborativefusion.com> wrote:
> A co-worker mentioned having read an article about running windoze on a
> VM on linux.  Is anyone aware of such a software package?  I
> unfortunately seem to be stuck using a win app for work and i dont want
> to have to go to a dual-boot to accomodate this.
>
> Alternatively, if anyone knows a good database design suite that is
> compatible with postgres, that would solve my problems too. :)
>
> -b

I would also vote for VMWare.

As for a database design suite, check out theKompany's Rekall application.  I'm
not sure if it will do all you want (how do you define 'design suite'?) but
I've used it a couple of times and it supports Postgres and MySQL.  The newer
version (not yet released?) will run on Linux _and_ Windows and theKompany
offers free upgrades.  They also offer a Zaurus version that I have used.
Quite recommended, especially if you know python (Rekall can run python
scripts).  You can get it for $70 at http://www.thekompany.com/products/rekall/

jaaron