[wplug] Iopener

Ivan Jager ivanj at terere.res.cmu.edu
Sun Nov 24 03:48:38 EST 2002

On 2002.11.22 23:55 Doug Green wrote:
> Hi all-
> I have a quick question regarding linux on an iOpener. I converted it for a
> harddrive with a custom IDE cable, and it has a bios that supposedly will
> work for this modification. Here is the problem:
> It loads GRUB (I installed RedHat 8.0 on a laptop drive) but when it tries
> to boot the image, it chokes. It then tries to reboot... As nauseum.
>
> The error screen flies by really fast, but by changing the boot hd0,0 to
> hd1,0 I managed to confuse it enough to copy down the following error before
> it reboots:
>

> | Booting command-list
> |
> | Root (hd0,0)
> |  Filesystem type unkown, partition type 0x4f
> | Kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-14 ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
> |
> | Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition
> |
> | Press any key to continue...

It looks like you are getting the wrong name for the partition. According to fdisk partition type 0x4f is "QNX4.x 3rd part". So my guess is that (hd0,0) is actually the flash memory or whatever it normally boots QNX from, and that the hard drive you added would be called something else. Try going into grub's command line and type:
find /vmlinuz-2.4.18-14
to find out what partition the kernel is really on.