[wplug] Iopener

Doug Green diego96 at mac.com
Fri Nov 22 23:55:26 EST 2002

Hi all-
I have a quick question regarding linux on an iOpener. I converted it for a
harddrive with a custom IDE cable, and it has a bios that supposedly will
work for this modification. Here is the problem:
It loads GRUB (I installed RedHat 8.0 on a laptop drive) but when it tries
to boot the image, it chokes. It then tries to reboot... As nauseum.

The error screen flies by really fast, but by changing the boot hd0,0 to
hd1,0 I managed to confuse it enough to copy down the following error before
it reboots:

| Booting command-list
|
| Root (hd0,0)
|  Filesystem type unkown, partition type 0x4f
| Kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-14 ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
|
| Error 17: Cannot mount selected partition
|
| Press any key to continue...

The fact that it even loads Grub tells me it's booting from the drive, but
does anyone have any ideas of why it chokes on the "real boot"... ??

Any ideas greatly appreciated,
Doug

PS- Dear maillist admin, normally I get this list on my other email account
(green at np.awing.upmc.edu)- I'm away and that server doesn't allow email
forwarding from outside, but I can pick up reply email just fine... Hence
the foreign "non-member" post- it's just me!! Thanks! Feel free to crop the
PS... haha