[wplug] Firewall & NAT box.

Rick Smith rick at rbsmith.com
Sat Nov 23 09:43:36 EST 2002

> Long time lurker, first time poster....

Welcome to posting!

I've used Eigerstein (an enhanced LRP) successfully for years on
a 486 dx66 with 16 megs of RAM and no hard drive (boots from single floppy).

Also used a LRP variant I downloaded from Byte Magazine (like a '98
issue).  It works with serving a home network from a dial up.

I tried to upgrade to leaf.sourceforge.net
(a variant of LRP - Linux Router Project).
I learned at the last installfest about www.freesco.org (Thanks!)
I had hardward problems with one of my NICS, so didn't really get
either of them going.  Freesco can also act as a print server.

I was trying to get it so when the DSL didn't respond, it would
dial out on a modem to at least support some type of net connection.
Because of the NIC problem, I didn't get there.

I hoped I could have given you a better review of freesco, because
it looked cool.  It also support hard drive (though not needed to
be there).

Rick