user mallocs Re: [wplug] word processor suggestions?

James O'Kane jo2y at midnightlinux.com
Wed Nov 20 20:55:04 EST 2002

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Carmelo Edwrd Piccione wrote:
> PS: anyone know how to write a malloc package?? stupid CS courses....

I almost missed this question..

I've never written one, but from what I understand it isn't that much
different from other libraries. The linker just needs to find your version
of malloc before it find the libc version. You might want to look at
Electric-Fence, and see how Bruce did it.

I've been considering overloading new and delete in C++ to impliment key
and locks and/or tombstones as a memory access checker. I think that would
also require me to overload * and & (and -> ?). Can that be done in C++?

-james