[wplug] DevFS

Eric C. Cooper ecc at cmu.edu
Wed Nov 20 18:37:32 EST 2002

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 05:03:31PM -0500, Michael P. O'Connor wrote:
> Ok I have read a bit about the DevFS on linux.  And I have the following
> questions
>
> 1) is it worth converting to

I like it because my /dev directory only contains the devices on my
system, and they come and go as their drivers are loaded/unloaded.
There are occasional hassles with the wrong ownership/permission on
the entries or a missing symlink, but that can all be tweaked.

> 2) what are the new names used

Use devfsd.  It makes compatibility symlinks so you can continue
to use /dev/hda1 for example, rather than
/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1.

> 3) I have the old system and if I wanted to convert what would I have to
> change and how (I know the /etc/fstab would need to be changed [ i don't
> have it setup by partion lables, maybe I should, I have it point to
> /dev/hd??]  )

You need devfs in the kernel, with the "mount devfs at boot time"
option, and you need devfsd.  Your /etc/fstab shouldn't have to be changed.

--
Eric C. Cooper          e c c @ c m u . e d u