[wplug] Mousewheel and your CPU

Carmelo Piccione cep at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Nov 19 14:43:18 EST 2002

On Wednesday 20 November 2002 12:05 am, J Aaron Farr wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Does anyone notice rather high CPU usage when scrolling through a long
> document with a mouse wheel?  Specifically when using Mozilla?
>
> I noticed it because while scrolling through long web sites, XMMS (and
> consequently my music) would stall briefly every now and then.  At first
> I thought it was the quality of my recordings, but then I noticed it
> always stalled (hiccuped is probably a better term) whenever I was
> scrolling with the mouse wheel.  I did some informal tests and this is
> what I found:

Here are some solutions:

(1) Get the preemptible kernel / latency patch:
http://www.tech9.net/rml/linux/

(2) Upgrade to kernel 2.5 (In beta stages, not recommended unless you are
l33t). If you do, enable the prempt option.

(3) Set userid to root for xmms, and enable realtime priority (in the
preferences menu) *This is the easiest, best bet*

(4) If you are really hardcore, try compiling xmms, kernel, konqueror, X, etc.
with -O6. It optimizes at a ridiculous level, some say its risky, probably
is...

(5) Get a faster computer

Hope this helps,

Carm