[wplug] Linux For Geeks and the 3rd World

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Tue Nov 19 09:38:04 EST 2002

| Yeah I am the one. I sent you a reply by personal
| email. Hmmm this brings up those general questions
| I like to ask and others might not like to answer.
|
| Are any of these systems good enough that one could
| train someone on? I know several people who would
| like me to train them in various aspects of using computers
| for various purposes. If I had a lot of funds I would still
| probably upgrade to Windows/Linux although MACs are
| tempting for graphic arts. I would get a new system and
| transfer things to it and use this one to train people.
|
| To me it seems that knowing both Windows and Linux
| would be a big plus. Linux does seem to be going forward
| nicely and I can tell that even in graphics, publishing and
| art an argument for using Linux might be advanced.
| One still has to contend with the folks who want to be
| shown that the functionality is similair.
|
| I see all these "newbie" questions and I think it would be
| great if there were a real resource for training people on
| how to use Linux. Right now I watch those questions as
| much as I watch the technical detail stuff.

perhaps this book would be useful for normal users:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/linux-doc-project/users-guide/

or this one:
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/linuxcookbook/html/index.html

for an all around good resource you might want to look at the linux
documentation project, where i found the two books above:

http://www.tldp.org/

there is a lot of good stuff here.

john harrold               | "They that can give up essential
     jmh17+maps at pitt.edu   |  liberty to obtain a little
/"\                        |  temporary safety deserve neither
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign  |  liberty nor safety."
 X  against HTML mail      |
/ \                        |  Benjamin Franklin
  "International security is not a zero-sum game. Peace,
  security and freedom are not finite commodities - like l
  and, oil or gold - which one state can acquire at
  another's expense."
  United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan