[wplug] Linux For Geeks and the 3rd World

Steve Kudlak chromexa at ovis.net
Tue Nov 19 00:26:50 EST 2002

Donald Shepherd wrote:

> Steve,
>
> Years ago, I grew up in Mt Olivet, just outside Wheeling, WV.  I went to
> Our Lady of Peace school with a Steve Kudlak.  Would you be the same
> guy?
> I saw your reference to WV and thought that it must be the same guy.
> I now live and work in Pittsburgh.  Being a Sales Consultant for Oracle.
>
> I am also trying to become more knowledgable in the Linux world.

> If you are interested, we are having a seminar this Wednesday at our
> office.  The subject is Oracle and Linux.
>
> Red Hat and HP will also be speaking.  If interested, I will send you
> the agenda.
>
> It starts at 9AM.  Coffee and bagels at 8:30.  We expect to conclude at
> noon.
>
> --Don Shepherd
> 412.269.3538 office
> 412.979.1361 cell
> donald.shepherd at oracle.com
>
> Steve Kudlak wrote:
>
> > Speaking of sending things to Mexico. I hear
> > that Linux is doing well in the third world and
> > the third world version 2.0 trying to modernize.
> > I can sympathize being that sometomes West
> > Virginia seems like the thrid world.  But anyway
> > does anyone know about this? I will go back to
> > my usual lurking now;)
> >
> > Have Fun,
> > Sends Steve

> --
> Don Shepherd
> 1.412.269.3538 office
> 1.412.979.1361 mobile
> Donald.Shepherd at Oracle.com
> Oracle Corporation  http://technet.oracle.com

Yeah I am the one. I sent you a reply by personal
email. Hmmm this brings up those general questions
I like to ask and others might not like to answer.

Are any of these systems good enough that one could
train someone on? I know several people who would
like me to train them in various aspects of using computers
for various purposes. If I had a lot of funds I would still
probably upgrade to Windows/Linux although MACs are
tempting for graphic arts. I would get a new system and
transfer things to it and use this one to train people.

To me it seems that knowing both Windows and Linux
would be a big plus. Linux does seem to be going forward
nicely and I can tell that even in graphics, publishing and
art an argument for using Linux might be advanced.
One still has to contend with the folks who want to be
shown that the functionality is similair.

I see all these "newbie" questions and I think it would be
great if there were a real resource for training people on
how to use Linux. Right now I watch those questions as
much as I watch the technical detail stuff.

Have Fun,
Sends Steve