[mike@procario.org: Re: [wplug] tripping power supply]

Phil Walther, Jr. philjr at attglobal.net
Mon Nov 18 01:03:10 EST 2002

I had mentioned thermal cycling.  What this is (used to happen a great deal)
is that from the temperature cycling within a computer case and the
components (even while operating) causes a tendency to work loose chips and
such.  Also, this could have an effect if, for instance, you have an
unusually long solder point on the back of your motherboard that grounds out
on the case when moved, or if it is close enough, could touch from thermal
cycling (expansion and contraction of components from heat cycles).

>From what you responded, your current system's power supply seems
sufficient.  Have you cleaned the system out lately, such as dust and such.
I'm not sure about yours, but some power supplies have a thermal sensor that
will shut the system down when it gets too hot.  Just another thought.

Phil