[wplug] Computer for Geeks+ Geek (re)training;)

Steve Kudlak chromexa at ovis.net
Sat Nov 16 15:09:19 EST 2002

Mark Sikora wrote:

> The computers for Geeks project has moved to the next phase.  Computers
> are aquired and stored.  Now we need to see how to distrubute them.  We
> have them stored in a garage right now.  I understand that we have a
> sometimes dry, basement available for their storage which will be great.
> We also need to see who wants one.  We were thinking that we could also
> maintain a pool of machines to be loaned so if someone new comes to the
> group and wants to learn about linux but doesn't have a machine or is
> afraid to modify their existing machine, they can have one to learn on.
> This is one possible use.  I know that there are already some machines
> spoken for.  I look forward to the next installfest to get them installed
> and off to Mexico or wherever they are going.
>
> That is all for now.
>
> Mark -<>-

An interesting idea...Hmm I still plan to do and
upgrade to dual boot. In the past when the machine
was to look at web pages and send chatty email
to friends this would have been easier. Now I have
real projects going on my machine a message base
that has 77,000+ email messages on it and several
graphic arts and small press/zine projects going on it,
uh...like...well...my thoughts about upgrade are more
cautious. I know people who have upgraded who had
to pretty much abandon past work. Now happily I can
report the worse case of that was from someone who
went from Windows98 I believe to XP and to a new
"Forum" system and had to throw away awhole message
base about Small Press Issues. I personally don't want
to tell people: "Well that's the breaks...the nice new system is
so much more wonderful."

I am pretty sure I can do this by going dual boot. My whole
problem has/will be the fact that it will take a lot more
individual effort on my part to get a graphic arts/publication
system going. If I add ray tracing and animation it is going to
be a real effort to find open source animation stuff. The GIMP
has a lot of the features and does form a good base of stuff
for general graphic arts work.

Here I follow the messages and mostly lurk except for
occasional outbursts or verbosity;) What even more than
a machine I would like to hear more of, have put in a nice
easily to get archive somewhere is all that "newbie" stuff.
I am not quite a newbie by a long shot, but I worked in
a much more division of labour environment. I did networks
and security and administration. Hardware stuff meant things
like convincing people "it is a problem with hard disk....It is
not a software problem and it should be fixed...."  My unix
experience is a farrago of BSD4.2 and more, SCO Unix,
some linux and some other look alike like a Minix System."

Right now when people talk about what Linux is useful for
I would tend to want to be able to say Small Press Publication
and Graphic Arts and be convincing. Right Now people in
the animation and Graphic Arts field see me as a sort of
weirdo left coast nut when I mention anything about getting
away from Microsoft and its world. So Linux is kind of a
metaproject for me.

Have Fun,
Sends Steve