[wplug] LVM and RAID

Coutch, Robert Robert_E_Coutch at tvratings.com
Wed Nov 13 11:58:55 EST 2002

Hi all,

I setup a machine with 3 hard-drives using LVM to create a large /home
directory for backup of other computers.
I did it mainly as a trial of LVM.

Here are some questions I came up with:

Why should choose LVM over RAID?
I created a large "partition" from the three drives but I could have done
the same with a RAID stripe set without parity.

Is LVM useful for a single drive system?

I usually set up a single hard drive with a root "/", /home and swap
partitions for a workstation and
with root "/", /home, swap, /var, and /usr partitions on a server and make
/usr read only.

I've heard a system runs faster with less partitions, any opinions?

If I use LVM on a single drive, should I make only a system partition and a
swap partition then use LVM to create several virtual partitions? Why or why
not?

Does LVM affect system speed? I assume it does.

Thanks for any info or opinions in advance,

Bob