[wplug] Newbie question on graphical login (problem resolved)

Mark Haney haney01 at email.franklin.edu
Tue Nov 12 22:38:18 EST 2002

Yesterday I asked...

>1) Is there any advantage to the graphical login? I would rather login to the

>command line, and use 'startx' if I want to use X. I know I can get a command

>line using the virtual terminals, but this is an old machine, and I don't want

>x running and sucking up resources.
>
>2) How can I make Debian boot into the command line? (I'm currently also researching

>this on my own... it must have something to do with the init scripts and run

>levels, but at my newbie stage I haven't been able to find and fix it yet.)

Thanks to everyone who replied!

I think I figured out why xdm came back after I deleted it... I installed Galeon,
and I think it must have somehow included xdm down along the dependency tree
somewhere.

Anyway, I deleted xdm again and it went away. But, after reading all your replies
I decided to reinstall it and try to make it go away by working with the symlink
to the init script. It worked! On my Debian, runlevel 2 was set up as multiuser
with X and xdm graphical login. I went to /etc/rc2.d and changed S99xdm to s99xdm.
That effectively disables it, without actually removing the symlink, because
init only runs ones that start with capital letters. This also leaves me with
an indicator that the script is there but the link is disabled.

Some references:
http://www.freeos.com/articles/3243/
http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-customizing.en.html