[wplug] Newbie question on graphical login

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Mon Nov 11 16:59:42 EST 2002

Sometime in November Bill assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| I'm confused....i thought the question was how to prevent the box from
| booting into a graphical display?  The solutions I've seen have
| addressed how to prevent X from running period.  On Red Hat, the
| solution would actually be to run Xconfigurator and set it not to boot
| into graphical mode.

| > > id:5:initdefault: (default runlevel is 5)

| > > id:3:initdefault: (runlevel 3 - i.e. no login manager)

this solution doesn't prevent x from running, it just prevents the
graphical login in redhat and similar distros. after logging into the
console you could still type xinit to start xwindows.

i would imagine running Xconfigurator et al. would just edit this file for
you.

| I dont know much about Debian but I read that in 1999, Debian announced
| its plans to release a Debian port of Xconfigurator and package it with
| its distro.  If they followed thru on that, you should be able to run
| that and solve your problem without having to disable X in any
| particular level.

removing the symlinks in debian prevents the xlogin from running. the
binary (xdm) is still there and you can always start it yourself by typing
`xdm' at the prompt. your ability to run x and xdm still exsists.

john harrold               | "They that can give up essential
     jmh17+maps at pitt.edu   |  liberty to obtain a little
/"\                        |  temporary safety deserve neither
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign  |  liberty nor safety."
 X  against HTML mail      |
/ \                        |  Benjamin Franklin
  "International security is not a zero-sum game. Peace,
  security and freedom are not finite commodities - like l
  and, oil or gold - which one state can acquire at
  another's expense."
  United Nations Secretary-General Kofi Annan