[wplug] Newbie question on graphical login

Ivan Jager ivanj at terere.res.cmu.edu
Mon Nov 11 15:59:36 EST 2002

On 2002.11.11 10:57 Alexandros Papadopoulos wrote:
[...]
> > 2) How can I make Debian boot into the command line? (I'm currently
> > also researching this on my own... it must have something to do with
> > the init scripts and run levels, but at my newbie stage I haven't
> > been able to find and fix it yet.)
> >

> edit /etc/inittab and change
>
> id:5:initdefault: (default runlevel is 5)

> id:3:initdefault: (runlevel 3 - i.e. no login manager)

Actually, that is for RH... In Debian you just need to remove the links to the startup scripts from the current runlevel. You are probably already in runlevel 3 (check by typing runlevel). If xdm is starting then do something like:
rm /etc/rc3.d/S99xdm
for gdm:
rm /etc/rc3.d/S99gdm
and for kdm: