[wplug] Newbie question on graphical login

Mark Haney haney01 at email.franklin.edu
Mon Nov 11 09:21:09 EST 2002

Hi all,

Most questions I have seen on graphical login are related to how to get it to
work. Well, I can't seem to get it to go away!

I installed Debian 3.0, and when the tasksel screen came up I chose only the
'X Window System' and 'Dialup System' tasks. The install worked,but when I booted
into the system, up came the graphical logon screen (xdm). I thought I could
get rid of it by 'apt-get remove xdm'. Nope. It went away yesterday, but when
I booted the system today, the graphical login screen popped up again!

So, my questions are:
1) Is there any advantage to the graphical login? I would rather login to the
command line, and use 'startx' if I want to use X. I know I can get a command
line using the virtual terminals, but this is an old machine, and I don't want
x running and sucking up resources.

2) How can I make Debian boot into the command line? (I'm currently also researching
this on my own... it must have something to do with the init scripts and run
levels, but at my newbie stage I haven't been able to find and fix it yet.)

TIA,
Mark