[wplug] the scsi problems continue

Bill bhalpin at collaborativefusion.com
Fri Nov 8 05:32:03 EST 2002

Ok, I'm gonna try to answer everyones replies all at once here and add a
bit more info.

1.  Have verified both disks using the scsi utilities in the Adaptec
Bios Utility.

2.  lspci -v gives me no information whatsoever on the disks in the
chain, only the card.

00:09.0 SCSI storage controller: Adaptec AHA-2940U2/U2W
        Subsystem: Adaptec AHA-2940U2W SCSI Controller
        BIST result: 00
        I/O ports at e400 [disabled] [size=256]
        Memory at ec001000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
        Expansion ROM at ea000000 [disabled] [size=128K]
        Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 1

3.  There is no parity discrepancy between the disks and the card.
Parity is enabled for both.

More information:

1.  I have no entries in /proc/scsi, in fact it doesnt even exist.  Can
someone explain to me why this might be?

2.  If I attempt to enable the scsi bios on the card, i get a wide
negotiation error and the boot process halts.  I have tried turning off
wide negotiation on the present disks which did not help, and then
turned it off on the entire bus and that still didnt help.  The error
mentions a possible cable problem but doesnt get specific.  It basically
just says to check the cable.

Cabling:  I dont know much about the difference between the different
scsi types.  Last time I used scsi, I had a 68k mac and pc with an 8-bit
Future Domain controller on my desk, so its been awhile.  I have both of
these drives currently connected using a ribbon-cable.  Is it possible
that this ribbon doesnt support ultra-wide scsi?  The ribbon did come
with the card tho...

thanks

-b