[wplug] simple VPN WAN

redtoade redtoade at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 3 16:09:02 EST 2002

I'm attempting to setup my company's network for VPN
access.  Here's the current hardware:
   Company server
   Company firewall (MASQ using ipchains)
   Personal firewall (MASQ using ipchains)
   Personal client
all running RedHat Linux of various versions.

It's a straight forward, simple setup... with only a
potential user base of a few people.  So I don't
require anything fancy.

But, after doing some research, I find myself with TOO
MANY options.

According to freshmeat, there's two or three popular
"out of the box" VPN/firewall solutions.  Astaro and
Securepoint to name two.  And RedHat comes packaged
with CIPE.  I've heard good things about FreeS/WAN,
and bad things about PPTP, etc, etc...

Add to the mix that I'm already fond of Bastille as a
"hardening" script... and I might require kernel
recompile with the VPN-Masq options on for the client
side.

blah blah blah

so my question is:  has anyone any experience in a
similar small VPN solution?  Pitfalls?  Tricks and
tips?  Recommendations?  Security issues?

Thanks.