[wplug] Linux Quake Server

Bob Schmertz rschmertz at speakeasy.net
Sat Nov 2 01:46:14 EST 2002

On Fri, 2002-11-01 at 01:30, J Aaron Farr wrote:

> Since two Windows copies can find each other, I think the problem comes down to
> my various linux boxen (one redhat 8.0, one SuSE 8.0) are nice and secure and
> won't let other clients connect to the Quake 3 server port.  At least that's my
> initial guess.
>
> I imagine I need to do something with iptables or whatever other firewall type
> services are running on these two boxes.  I seem to have no problem securing
> them, it's just opening back up the few ports I want open.
>
> So where should I start looking?  Are there some other issues that may be
> causing this problem that I'm not aware of yet?  I've done a number of google
> searches and what not, but haven't yet found that magic solution I'm looking
> for.  Any suggestions?

1.  Find out if you've got iptables or ipchains.
	lsmod | grep -E 'iptables|ipchains'

2.  Do a chains/tables listing (as appropriate)
	ip(table|chain)s -L

    Actually I just did that and I can't make much sense out of the
result, but maybe you can :)

3.  Find out what script is being run that sets all the rules.  On my
computer, I have an rc.firewall in my /etc/rc.d directory -- but I put
it there, following instructions I found at http://ipmasq.cjb.net/ , a
pretty good site about this stuff.

4.  As someone else mentioned, shut down ipwhatever temporarily, see if
that solves the problem.  Finding the script mentioned in part 3 is
helpful towards this, as you can use it to figure out how to turn off
the filtering.

All I can think of.  Many reading this will probably quickly figure out
I'm not an expert in this.

--
Cheers,
Bob Schmertz