[wplug] Linux Quake Server

coldfire rolick571 at duq.edu
Sat Nov 2 01:27:01 EST 2002

> Now that I have DSL and a proper network up and running I have all sorts of
> things to really learn about linux administration that I never bothered to
> learn when I was just running linux on a desktop.  Of course high on that list
> is setting up a Quake III server (and a Neverwinter Nights server, and a ...)
> :)

recall .. that if you have 128Kbps upstream, that's only 16 Kb/s :/ .. so
while your machine might handle hosting q3a, nwn, etc., the bottle neck
might be your upstream (been there, tried that)

> So here's the deal...
>
> I have copies of Quake 3 for windows and linux.  My roomate is running Win2000.
>  Thus far I can only get two Windows copies of Quake to talk to each other.
> When I run my Linux version and set up a temporary server on my box, the
> Win2000 version can see the server, but never connects.  So I tried setting up
> a dedicated server on a third linux computer, but neither the original Linux
> nor the Windows client can see that one.
>
> Since two Windows copies can find each other, I think the problem comes down to
> my various linux boxen (one redhat 8.0, one SuSE 8.0) are nice and secure and
> won't let other clients connect to the Quake 3 server port.  At least that's my
> initial guess.
>
> I imagine I need to do something with iptables or whatever other firewall type
> services are running on these two boxes.  I seem to have no problem securing
> them, it's just opening back up the few ports I want open.
>
> So where should I start looking?  Are there some other issues that may be
> causing this problem that I'm not aware of yet?  I've done a number of google
> searches and what not, but haven't yet found that magic solution I'm looking
> for.  Any suggestions?

yes .. as someone mentioned, be sure you have the same version of q3a on
all machines .. the newest point release just came out within the past
month or so.

also, filtering could be an issue (iptables, ipchains, etc.).  i believe
quake3 runs on udp ports 27960 or something.  if you must, disable your
firewall completely and see if it works.  if it does, just sniff the
network to see which ports and protocols quake3 uses.  (also, when
searching for quake3 servers on a particular subnet, it doesn't use udp
port 27960 .. it only uses this port once connected.)  i remember having
fun figuring out which ports ut used.  g'luck

coldie