[wplug] Linux Quake Server

J Aaron Farr jaaronfarr at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 1 01:30:32 EST 2002

Hello.

Now that I have DSL and a proper network up and running I have all sorts of
things to really learn about linux administration that I never bothered to
learn when I was just running linux on a desktop.  Of course high on that list
is setting up a Quake III server (and a Neverwinter Nights server, and a ...)
:)

So here's the deal...

I have copies of Quake 3 for windows and linux.  My roomate is running Win2000.
 Thus far I can only get two Windows copies of Quake to talk to each other.
When I run my Linux version and set up a temporary server on my box, the
Win2000 version can see the server, but never connects.  So I tried setting up
a dedicated server on a third linux computer, but neither the original Linux
nor the Windows client can see that one.

Since two Windows copies can find each other, I think the problem comes down to
my various linux boxen (one redhat 8.0, one SuSE 8.0) are nice and secure and
won't let other clients connect to the Quake 3 server port.  At least that's my
initial guess.

I imagine I need to do something with iptables or whatever other firewall type
services are running on these two boxes.  I seem to have no problem securing
them, it's just opening back up the few ports I want open.

So where should I start looking?  Are there some other issues that may be
causing this problem that I'm not aware of yet?  I've done a number of google
searches and what not, but haven't yet found that magic solution I'm looking
for.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

jaaron

PS- By the way, once I have this up and running well within my own network, I
hope to eventually open it up to the outside.  Maybe in a month or two I can
start hosting some games for the users group. :)