[wplug] pppd and slackware

J Aaron Farr jaaronfarr at yahoo.com
Sun May 26 01:13:27 EDT 2002

Hello all.

Well, I finally got brave enough to install Slackware this weekend and it
wasn't nearly as painful as I thought it would be. :)  I am having some
trouble with pppd though.  I don't think it should be a slackware specific
error, but I've used the same script with the same external modem in redhat
and never had a problem.

the /etc/ppp/options file looks like this:
/dev/modem
57600
modem
lock
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v ABORT BUSY ABORT 'NO CARRIER' '' AT ATDT4122977488
  CONNECT '' name: jaf1 word: password \"local>" ppp"
defaultroute
usepeerdns

It's used for connecting to Pitt's dial up accounts.

When I run it, the modem connects and I get the right sounds and all, but right
before I should get a CONNECT signal, I get 'NO CARRIER'.  The modem just drops
the line and disconnects.

Does anyone have any idea why this would happen?  What type of settings could
cause this conflict?  Like I said, I've run this on Red Hat with no problem.  If it helps, I'm trying to set this particular computer up as a sort of internet
router / gateway.

Thanks,
jaaron