[wplug] cron.hourly problem

James O'Kane jo2y at midnightlinux.com
Sat May 18 19:17:15 EDT 2002

On Sat, 18 May 2002, Bryce Lynch wrote:
> On Fri, 17 May 2002, James O'Kane wrote:
> > It sounds like you have one too many fields in your /etc/crontab file.
> > Here is what I have
> > 01 * * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.hourly
> 	     ^^^^
> This is where the problem is - crond is trying to execute a command named
> 'root', which isn't valid.

But that is from a working system, it was someone else who was having a
problem. I can't find it in a quick scan of the man pages, but I think for
/etc/crontab it executes the command as the user in field 6. This is
different from user crontab files, usually stored in /var/spool/cron and
editted with crontab(1).

-james