[wplug] Re: kppp

ed jaquay edstef at sgi.net
Sat Mar 16 17:34:48 EST 2002

On Sat, 16 Mar 2002 16:15:12 -0500 (EST)
Ori Rosen <ori at stat.pitt.edu> wrote:

> I am trying to use kppp for a dial-up connection with a login script.
> When trying to connect, the login script debug window says "starting
> pppd" but I get an error message "Couldn't find interface ppp0: No such
> device". Does anyone know what the problem is and how it can be fixed?

I don't use kppp myself, but I am sure your problem could be a whole lot of
things. It's pppd's job to create the interface, so naturally if it fails there
will be no interface. Is the kernel you are using compiled with ppp support? Are
the modules installed? Is there a problem with the  script you are using?  ISP
number wrong? ISP expecting an chap or pap athentication reply?  Wrong modem device.
Wrong modem speed.  Insufficient permissions.

If you want more help you you are going to have to supply details.  What disto,
what version, did it ever work, whats in the log files, etc.  Start with reading
the kpp-faq file. Check the common pitfalls mentioned in there, turn on logging
and post your log file(s) (remove any passwords from it first) if you still are
having problems after going through the faq.

Anyway keep trying and Good luck.  It took me a quite a few hours to get dial up
working when I was going through it.