[wplug] RPM, Deb, Tgz and package management

Luquilla Hughes luquilla at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 11 10:38:09 EST 2002

Hey all and especially Art,
    This post is about the installfest on Sat. and talking with Art about
package managers and differences between deb and rpm. I believe that I made
a mistake (or mislead) in what I had said to you on Sat. and for some reason
remembered it on the drive home so I would just like to correct that. Deb
and Rpm packages although they are not interchangable they can be converted
with the use of a tool. I.e. you can install debian and use RPM's and that
goes vice versa. So it doesn't matter which distro you install the different
packages are available for you with a slight increase in sysadmin overhead.

A quick search on google of rpm2deb, deb2rpm revealed alien. this will allow
conversion of packages between rpm-deb-tgz which covers the distros of
RedHat, Mandrake, Debian, Slackware. and I believe that stampede amoung
others may also work.

I hope that this makes sense if anybody would like clarify or has used Alien
please speak up.

-matt

applicable url's
http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/contrib/noarch/noarch/alien-6.53-3.noarch.html