[wplug] ASP and Linux

Dave Neuer mr_fred_smoothie at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 28 12:42:04 EDT 2002

ArrowHead:
http://freshmeat.net/projects/arrowheadasp/?topic_id=49%2C90

It's listed as pre-alpha status, so who knows how
stable or full-featured it is. It also only supports
VBScript, so if your ASPs are C++, you're out of luck.

The nice (subversive) thing about it is it's a Java
servlet, so not only do you get to get Linux in your
shop, but you can start to leverage server-side Java
(servlets, JSP, EJB) and try to replace ASP over time.

The only catch I'd imagine is that if your ASP's use
COM objects you'd need a Java-COM bridge (when I
looked for one of those 3 years ago for a job they
were few and expensive as hell - $3000/seat).
Fortunately for me, I've fully moved on from any type
of MS-centric development, so things may have changed
substantially in that area since I had to care ;-).

Of course, there's also a proprietary product from Sun
((Sun ONE ASP:
http://www.chilisoft.com/chiliasp/default.asp?target=linux),
and it has a COM-Java bridge. But it's $500/server
plus the dev kits, and why would you want to replace a
proprietary product from one monopolist with another
one from a monopolist wannabe, right?

Good luck.

Dave