[wplug] samba & roaming profiles

harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu
Thu Jun 27 08:49:53 EDT 2002

Sometime in June Duncan Hutty assaulted keyboard and produced...

|As an aspirant linux geek & advocate, I think I have discovered a method
|that will persuade the company I work for, a mid size (~30 employees in 3
|locations) travel agency to give some notice to linux & from there to OS
|software in general. I come to you seeking your wisdom & advice.
|
|The network has 3 NT/2k served domains and win98 clients (+ 1 linux box used
|to investigate new opportunities & educate) + 1 technical person (me) who
|has to spend most of their time on user support and maintaining the
|reservation system/QC software.
|My aim is to allow user settings, such as outlook express config, desktop
|appearance, shortcuts to networked resources, etc. to be accessible while
|roaming on the network. The travel agents frequently move from box to box
|and it would be preferable if they could take everything with them just by
|using their logon/password.
|
|I have glanced in O'Reilly's Using Samba & some resources on the web, but to
|no avail. I believe that using samba would allow this type of functionality
|and am hoping somebody could confirm for me and preferably point me in the
|direction of some resources that would explain in detail.

speaking from the largish void in the rear of my body:

would it be easier to do this with ldap?

http://www.unav.es/cti/ldap-smb-howto.html

--
john harrold               | If I were a carpenter I'd
                           | Hammer on my piglet, I'd
/"\                        | Collect the seven dollars and I'd
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign  | Buy a big prosthetic forehead
 X  against HTML mail      | And wear it on my real head -tmbg
/ \                        | jmh17 at pitt.edu