[wplug] samba & roaming profiles

Edward Walter ewalter at tpresence.com
Wed Jun 26 13:36:01 EDT 2002

Roaming profiles, while a nice idea, tend to be a nightmare in actual
implementation.  In traditional NT domains, the users internet cache is
considered part of the profile, so when that profile gets synchronized, so
does the users cache.  Obviously, this can be quite a large chunk of data...
Win 2000 is better.  It can be configured to skip synchronization of local
files like your explorer cache.  I can't think of a way to do this in win98
though.  As far as having those profiles sit on a linux box running samba,
I've done it before and it does work.  You need an NT domain to assign
roaming profiles, or you can setup samba as a domain controller.  The samba
PDC setup can be pretty involved, so I won't go into it here, but there is
some documentation on the samba website.
-Ed Walter