[wplug] samba & roaming profiles

Bryce Lynch bryce at telerama.lm.com
Wed Jun 26 11:22:14 EDT 2002

On Sun, 23 Jun 2002, Duncan Hutty wrote:

> My aim is to allow user settings, such as outlook express config, desktop
> appearance, shortcuts to networked resources, etc. to be accessible while
> roaming on the network. The travel agents frequently move from box to box

Theoretically, it's possible.

I don't see why it couldn't be done.

We tried this where I work not too long ago, and it was a disaster, I
think because the IT staff is a *nix-only bunch and there are 2000
desktops all over the place...  I strongly suggest that you bring in a
Windows 2000 consultant or corral your local Win2k admin for a while to
make this work.

> no avail. I believe that using samba would allow this type of functionality
> and am hoping somebody could confirm for me and preferably point me in the
> direction of some resources that would explain in detail.

Once you get the Samba server set up to accept user credentials from a PDC
you're halfway there.  The trick's making the desktops treat the roaming
profiles nicely.

<thinks>

This might have been one of our problems out here: Don't bother trying to
reassign the directories that users have transparently (i.e., C:\Documents
and Settings\<username>), create a new drive and map that.

--
Encrypted private e-mail preferred.
PGP and GnuPG keys: http://users.telerama.com/~bryce/pgp.key

"Take that smile off your face/wipe that tear from your eye/
	don't say you're sorry for me..."  --Gary Numan, _Stormtrooper In Drag_