[wplug] downloading open office and installing

harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu
Tue Jun 18 13:56:45 EDT 2002

Sometime in June Itor assaulted keyboard and produced...

|I have mandrake linux 8.0 which seems pretty neat cept I downloaded open
|office and can't get it to install.  I have 10 bin files on my hard disk,
|but clicking on em does no good and going thru the package installer
|doesn't seem to find them.  What is a bin file (I assume it is a binary)
|and how do you use one?  I would love to install an office like program
|and begin working in linux.

hey. there should have been some instructions when you downloaded it. i can
share my expirences with you. i downloaded the baf "big ass file" which
came as a tarball (OOo_1.0.0_LinuxIntel_install.tar.gz). it untarred in to
a crapload of files which looked somethink like f_#### and f0_###.
where #### and ### were numbers padded with 0's on the left. these were all
created in a directory called `install'. also in this directory was a file
called `install'. to install i simply ran the install file
`/tmp/install/install' as root i believe.

i have the files here if you want them.
http://sage.che.pitt.edu/linux//sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/pub/packages/OpenOffice/1.0.0/

i'm not sure if they are up to date or not. i grabbed them when version 1
was released.

perhaps you can try running the first of the bin files?

$sh /path/to/file/file01.bin

try running file on the files and see what it returns

$file /path/to/file/file01.bin

--
john harrold               | If I were a carpenter I'd
                           | Hammer on my piglet, I'd
/"\                        | Collect the seven dollars and I'd
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign  | Buy a big prosthetic forehead
 X  against HTML mail      | And wear it on my real head -tmbg
/ \                        | jmh17 at pitt.edu