[wplug] Re: wplug digest, Vol 1 #517 - 7 msgs

kf3cr mjkst77+ at pitt.edu
Tue Jul 30 17:42:16 EDT 2002

I read tcp/illustrated vol. 1 last summer.  Whether you will want to read
it or not depends on what you want to learn.  For me it was fantastic, but
you might not agree.  I have no idea what MCSE is, but if you are looking
for a book that shows you how to setup and debug networks, this book may
or may not be the answer for you. This book will give
you an understanding of how the network works.  He uses LOTS of examples
on his little network that he has on the inside cover of the book.  He
uses tcpdump all over the place.  Usually he will introduce a new thing
and then show some tcpdump output that illustrates it.  He really gets
into the nitty gritty stuff though.  If you are interested in learning
about syn, ack, and fin packets and where and when they go, then read this
book.  If you want to learn how routing works, then read this book. ( i
think this book even shows you what a gateway has to do to the packet to
trick all the machines behind it into thinking they are connected directly
to the internet.)  As far as adminustration goes I think it shows you how
to use some programs like netstat, route, and arp.  I do not think there
is any code in the book.  A warning though, this author is accused of
by many to be very "dry."  This is a terrible review, and I
am leaving a ton of things out that I should include, but here are the
chapter titles:

Intoduction
Link Layer
IP: Internet Protocol
ARP: Address Resolution Protocol
RARP: Reverse Address Resolution Protocol
ICMP: Internet Control Message Protocol
Ping Program
Traceroute Program
IP Routing
Dynamic Routing Protocols
UDP: User Datagram Protocol
Broadcasting and Multicasting
IGMP: Internet Group Management Protocol
DNS: Domain Name System
TFTP: Trivial File Transfer Protocol
BOOTP: Bootstrap Protocol
TCP: Transmission Control Protocol
TCP Connection Establishment and Termination
TCP Interactive Data Flow
TCP Bulk Data Flow
TCP Timeout and Retransmission
TCP Persistent Timer
TCP Keepalive Timer
TCP Future and Performance
SNMP: Simple Network Management Protocol
Telnet and Rlogin: Remote Login
FTP: File Transfer Protocol
SMTP: Simple Mail Transfer Protocol
NFS: Network File System
Other TCP/IP Applications

If you are interested in network programming, i would recommend W. Richard
Steven's newest version of his "Unix Network Programming" book.  I think
he split it into two volumes now.  Mine is a single volume, and it taught
me how to do network programming with unix.  It is a great book.  Also,
this guy wrote "Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment," which i
think is a pretty slick reference book.  And, if you want to read the
greatest book ever written, then read "The Catcher in The Rye," but I am
not sure if that will help your administration skills or not.

Michael J Kowalchuck
kf3cr
mjkst77 at pitt.edu