[wplug] Tutorial and Recompile Question

Bryce Lynch bryce at telerama.lm.com
Fri Jul 19 14:21:56 EDT 2002

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Robert Supansic wrote:

> Finally: a question.  I recently replaced an Intel Pentium 133 MHz chip in a
> fileserver with an AMD K-6 500 MHz chip.  The fileserver, which had been
> running flawlessly 24x7 for over a year, is now locking up.  Should I
> recompile the kernel or maybe re-install the distribution (SuSE 7.2)?

SuSE v7.2..  I have no idea what kernel that is.

Try recompiling first, if the system is stable enough.  In the kernel
v2.2.19 configuration, the Pentium CPU and the Pentium II+ CPUs are two
different options.  There might be just enough differences between a
Pentium and an AMD core to make a kernel flaky.  In the kernel v2.4.18
configuration, the Pentium-III and AMD K6-* cores have entirely different
options.  This seems like a more likely incompatibility, try a
recompilation in this event.

What kind of cooling do you have on the new CPU?  Maybe you fan's a little
too weak, or you need a better coating of heatsink grease on the CPU.
I've had that happen to me a few times.  Reinstalling your system seems
like a bit too extreme a solution to this, it's got to be something a bit
closer to the changes you'd made to the hardware.

--
Encrypted private e-mail preferred.
public key: http://users.telerama.com/~bryce/gpg.key

"Take that smile off your face/wipe that tear from your eye/
	don't say you're sorry for me..."  --Gary Numan, _Stormtrooper In Drag_