[wplug] DNAT Problem solved - I is dumb :)

Hagbard Celine hceline at softhome.net
Wed Jul 17 00:47:11 EDT 2002

Thanks for the suggestions, folks, but I found the culprit.  As is often the
case, it was a bad assumption...

I was expecting packets to the public IP address to take the circuitous route,
through ppp0; instead, they hit the router through eth1.  The packets never saw
the DNAT rule (I ascertained this by temporarily DNATing port 23, and noting
the name of the machine servicing the telnet request).

DNATing packets through eth1 as well as through ppp0 results in *every* HTTP
request going to my server, so I live with accessing from the private side,
while the world gets to my site via the DNS name.  No big deal, at least I know
that it works...

Hagbard

P.S.  The site lives at 'fnordnet.icubed.com', in case anyone is interested.
It's basically me being a pompous ass :)