[wplug] Mandrake 7 problem

Elwin Green bekitemba at excite.com
Sun Jul 14 14:24:25 EDT 2002

I have two dual-boot 586s. The first hard drive on each is laid out thus:

/dev/hda1 - Win9x
/dev/hda2 - Linux swap
/dev/hda3 - Ext2, Mandrake 7.0

I've had Mandrake on one machine for a couple of years, and just put it on the second a few days ago. The second machine is now exhibiting a problem which I've had on the first machine all along, but which I've never dealt with. This is the problem:

On each machine, I have an icon on my kde desktop for accessing hda1. Sometimes (not always) when I click the icon, kfm opens a window and begins to list hda1's contents, then freezes. When this happens, I am not able to use any other programs. I can move my cursor, and I can switch desktops from the taskbar, but if I click on another program icon, nothing happens. If I try to close the kfm window, nothing happens. If I try to logout, the "Preparing session..." button appears, then...nothing.

The only thing I have found to do when this problem appears is simply to turn the machine off. Which of course means a)losing any unsaved data, and b)having the system complain when I reboot to Linux because hda3 was not cleanly unmounted.

Any ideas on how to prevent this occasional obnoxious occurrence?

Thanks!

Elwin G.