[wplug] Disk Partition Help

Sean McCune sean at sean-mccune.com
Sun Jul 14 10:14:59 EDT 2002

Well, first off... are your C: D: and E: drive truly separate hard
drives, or are they just different partitions on one physical drive?

/dev/hda is the first physical hard drive in your system... the master
of the IDE0 controller.

/dev/hda1, /dev/hda2, /dev/hda3, etc... are all partitions on that first
physical hard drdive.

/dev/hdb is the second physical hard drive. And /dev/hdb1, /dev/hdb2,
etc are partitions on that drive.

/dev/hdc is the third physical hard drive... and so on...

But given that you're talking about things like /dev/hda5 and /dev/hda6,
I'm guessing that C: D: and E: are all partitions on one physical drive.

It sounds like you have too many partitions to make another bootable
partition on that drive.  But the thing to try would be to eliminate the
drive E: partition using Win2K.  Then that partition will be gone, and
you should see free space under Druid.  You still might have too many
partitions to be able to create a bootable one.

Your best bet might be to buy a second hard drive, and install it as the
master on IDE0, and move your original drive to the master on IDE1.
Then install linux on hda, which will be your new, empty hard drive.
When the installation process installs GRUB, it will see your bootable
windows partitions on the other drive and include them in the boot up
menu.  You'd be able to partition and mount the 15 Gb free space on your
original hard drive as /usr or /var or something if you wanted...

Clear as mud, huh?

McC