[wplug] Disk Partition Help

R. Lance Martin R.Lance.Martin at Dartmouth.EDU
Sun Jul 14 09:30:12 EDT 2002

Hi,

I am installing Red Hat Linux on a Dell Dimension running Windows 2000 pro. My C: and D: drives are essentially full, but my E: drive has about 15 GB of disk space. I intend to install Linux on this drive.

I am using the Red Hat disks that come with the O-Reilly "Learning Red Hat Linux" book. I am choosing a maual
parition strategy (with disk druid), but when I attempt to create my partitons in the paritions window, I run into problems:
	In the disk setup, /dev/hda2 seems to be broken up into /hda5 and /hda6 (16000 and 37000 MB respectivly). Unlike the example given in the guide, however, both of these drives are listed as Type NTFS/HPTS rather than "Free Space". When I try to create a new  partition, I enter the proper values (Mount Point, Filesystem Type, etc.) but I get an error "could not allocate the partitons as primary partitons"

Questions:
1.Do I need to use a utility, such as fdisk, to partiton the E: drive prior to the Partiton window in the installation? (i.e. Do I need to create a chunk of free space on the drive before creating the mount points in the intallation?) How can I do this easily with Win 2000 - fdisk is not an option in the 2000 OS and I do not want to purchase Partiton Majic?
2. If the type is not "Free Space," is one unable to create the partition (specify the mount points)?
3. How can one tell which Windows filesystem (C:, D:, E:) is associated with each /hda (drive) in the installation window? In other words, I want to ensure that I am installing Linux on my E: drive, but in the installation I cannot determire which /hda refers to E:.

Thanks,

Lance