[wplug] RE: beginner tutorial

Elwin Green bekitemba at excite.com
Sat Jul 13 01:06:23 EDT 2002

Just casting my vote - I think a beginner's tutorial is a fine idea, and I think the list below is good, especially the parts about installing/uninstalling apps - I have a BUNCH of stuff on my Mandrake boxes that I would like to get rid of, but don't know how to even begin doing so (especially without breaking something).

I'd scratch the item about Mozilla, though, as being too item-specific for a beginner's tutorial, which in my view should be as generic as possible.

Someone mentioned having demolinux CDs available for people to use while learning. I think that's a GREAT idea. For a beginner, getting Linux installed in the first place can be one of the most confusing and scary things about it. If people can gain a working knowledge of Linux BEFORE installing it, that could make for a much better experience of penguinosity (hey, it's late, OK?).

While I'm here, I may as well volunteer to help put the tutorial on the web, if that's to happen (I don't do fancy web stuff yet, but can do basic html).

Elwin G.