[wplug] Installfest Q's

James O'Kane jo2y at midnightlinux.com
Fri Jul 12 18:45:47 EDT 2002

On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Elwin Green wrote:
> I have a 386 with 8MB RAM, two 200MB SCSI hard disks, and a NIC. Can
> this machine be set up as a personal webserver for a home network? Would
> that require anything more than a kernel and apache?

The only problem I can forsee is a limited choice of distributions to
choose from. As I understand it, Mandrake compiles things for pentium
machines and faster, and I know from experience that Red Hat needs 16M for
installation.

I have recently installed debian on a machine with similar specs.
Setiathome took several days to do one unit.

-james