[wplug] beginner tutorial

Richard Harris ftumph at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 12 12:52:46 EDT 2002

I think just a tutorial on how to do basic tasks that
are often straight-forward in Windows but not so
intuitive in a Linux environment:

1.  Add/Edit a printer
2.  Change screen resolution/color depth
3.  Create file associations
3a. Putting application icons on the desktop or menu.
4.  Install new applications & where to find them
4a. Remove unused applications
4b. Update existing applications
5.  Create a user
6.  Manage the path, library path, etc.
7.  Change network settings
8.  Add MIME type handlers for Mozilla

Bonus points for:  how to install a new hardware
driver

- Rick

http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=35367&threshold=0&commentsort=0&tid=110&mode=thread&cid=3821651

> Just some thoughts...
> jaaron
>
> PS- If we have a tutorial like this, we may also
> want to prepare some "live"
> CDs of linux (like demo linux, there are some
> others), that way some new users
> could attend and try out linux on their computer
> without having to install.

=====
Richard Harris
412.855.8763