[wplug] Any vmware users?

J Aaron Farr jaaronfarr at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 11 09:25:55 EDT 2002

(Reply below)

--- harrold at sage.che.pitt.edu wrote:
> Sometime in July J Aaron Farr assaulted keyboard and produced...
>
> |(Comment inline)
> |
> |--- Richard Harris <ftumph at yahoo.com> wrote:
> |> Is the Sony restore CD tied to the Vaio hardware?
> |>

> |Unfortunately yes.  Very much so actually.  Just to check, I tried the disks
> on
> |another Vaio (slightly different model) and it didn't work.
> |

> this may sound like a silly question but...
>
> ok you purchased a laptop with a xp license right? so i guess the eula says
> you have to
> install it on that computer or something like that right? and the version
> of xp sony gave you wont install on a virtual machine running on that
> computer? would it be wrong of you to request an oem copy of windows xp from
> sony that can be installed on any computer... or rather any virtual machine
> running on your sony viao?
>
> there is probably something in the eula that says you cannot do this, but
> it seems as though you have a license of xp that you cannot transfer to a
> different machine if you want.
> john harrold

I haven't check the EULA in a long time, and I'll look at it tonight to confirm
what it says.  The thing is, the copy of XP itself is restricted such that it
WON'T install on anything other than the particular model it was made for, and
even then, it just wipes the drives clean and reinstalls.

I haven't tried the restore CDs on a virtual drive yet.  Last night I finished
re-partioning the hard drive for Linux and tonight I'll do some installs.  I'll
 post the result when I try to get vmware to either recognize the other XP
partition or see if the restore CDs will recognize the virtual drive.

jaaron