[wplug] Any vmware users?

J Aaron Farr jaaronfarr at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 10 12:38:28 EDT 2002

(Comment inline)

--- Richard Harris <ftumph at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Is the Sony restore CD tied to the Vaio hardware?

Unfortunately yes.  Very much so actually.  Just to check, I tried the disks on
another Vaio (slightly different model) and it didn't work.

> When you create a new "machine" in VMWare it looks to
> the OS you're installing like you've got an
> unpartitioned C: drive.  In reality it could be
> another Linux partition or even just a big file on the
> Linux file system.
>
> You can also configure the VM ahead of time to have a
> D: drive as well.
>
> If you do this, will the restore CD be happy?
>
> - Rick

I'll have to check.  I think I have an older copy of vmware (evaluation
version) that I can test with.  Thus far the only time I've ever used the CD is
at start up, not once I have the operating system running.  So I'm not sure if
the CDs will accept the virtual drives or not.

On another note, how well does vmware perform?  This is a 1.5 GHz Vaio, so I
should have the power to run both OS's fairly well I would think.  Do
applications respond well, or is there a bit of lag due to the emulation level?

Thanks again

jaaron