[wplug] Any vmware users?

Richard Harris ftumph at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 10 10:54:53 EDT 2002

jaaron,

I'm running VMWare Workstation 3.0 at home, but not
with WinXP (I run 2000 Workstation once in a while).
I believe you can run off an existing partition rather
than creating your own when you create a new virtual
machine.

Why don't you want to reinstall XP?  I ask because the
hardware profile of the VM is going to be different
than your native hardware.  Pointing VMWare to your
existing installation is going to have the same effect
as when you move a drive from one machine to another.
The first time it boots it's going to reconfigure all
its settings for the VMWare "hardware".

- Rick

--- J Aaron Farr <jaaronfarr at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> Does anyone on the list use vmware for linux?  I'm
> thinking about using it to
> run WinXP instead of dual booting, but I haven't
> tied it before.  And will I
> need to reinstall WinXP from scratch?  If I already
> have it installed on
> another partition, can I just load it into vmware
> from there?
>
> Thanks,
> jaaron

=====