[wplug] nfs question.

Bob Schmertz rschmertz at speakeasy.net
Sat Jul 6 17:36:39 EDT 2002

On Sat, 2002-07-06 at 13:34, James O'Kane wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Jul 2002, John 'el asesino del pollo' Harrold wrote:
> > i have two computers: A and B. both of these computers export data and
> > mount each others data. so A mounts B's stuff and B mounts A's stuff. now
> > if i reboot one of the, say A, then it's ok. if i try to reboot B  at the
> > same time, it hangs there trying to unmount the stuff on A. so i want to
> > know if there is a way to prevent this?
>
> Yes and no, I guess. This was one of my biggest pains at my last job. It
> is also annoying if you reinstall A and never bring it back when B has
> mountpoints associated with it.
>
> The reason it hangs is that B wants to flush its buffers of any open file
> handles, possibly unwritten data, etc. So it waits for A to confirm their
> save.
>
> The easiest answer would be to tell you to umount A before you reboot it.
> :) The next best thing would be to use intr or soft as one of the mount
> options. I would recommend intr over soft, because I think soft can cause
> data loss at times other than just the case mentioned.

One possible solution might be to mount your stuff using automount or
autofs.  I make no guarantees that this will be your solution, as I've
only set that up once, 2 years ago, at the urging of the Unix admin at
my company, but it was at least in part to take care of situations like
this.  I found a nice link that at least begins to explain some of this:
http://www.linuxvoodoo.com/howto/HOWTO/Automount/Automount-1.html .

--
Cheers,
Bob Schmertz